1. Attach required documents
Detailed claim form, including the invoice/pro number, indicating the party that is filing the claim, the reasons for the claim and how the amount claimed was determined.
● Copy of the signed delivery receipt with noted shortage or damage.
● Copy of the supplierís invoice to establish the value of the shipment.
● Copy of the invoice for repair parts and labour (if applicable).
● Copy of the inspection report (if applicable).
● Pictures (if applicable)
Canadian Freightways requires all of the above information to complete the claims process. If the submitted claim does not include all of the above documentation, Canadian Freightways will make one request in writing for the missing information. Once this request has been issued by Canadian Freightways, you will have 30 days to submit the necessary records or the claim will be considered closed.
2. Completed claims forms can be submitted by:
All claims must be submitted using mail service options that provide confirmation of delivery.
The filing party must retain fax confirmation as verification of transmittal.
3. Confirmation of Receipt
● Claims involving agents or interline carriers can take up to 12 weeks for settlement.
Important information to remember when filing a claim:
● If the shipment originates in Canada, the Bill of Lading states that a carrier's maximum liability for any shortage or damage claims is at $2.00 per pound or $4.41 per kilogram, based on the total weight of the shipment.
● If the shipment originates in the U.S, the Bill of Lading states that a carrier's maximum liability for any shortage or damage claims is at $5.00 per pound or $11.03 per kilogram, based on the weight of the item lost of damaged.
● Do not dispose of a damaged article(s) or packaging unless a Canadian Freightways representative advises you to do so. Your local Service Centre will arrange for storage if you donít have space.
For assistance with your claim please call your local Service Centre at 1-888-868-7923 (press 7) or the Shipment Care Centre at 403-287-4352.